Friday, April 15, 2011

Great 80's Movies

I was driving around on my way home from somewhere the other day flipping through the radio channels in my car trying to find something decent to listen to when I came across Try a Little Tenderness by Otis Redding.  That song always, always, always reminds me of the movie Pretty in Pink and the scene where Duckie (Jon Cryer) lip syncs that song to Andie (Molly Ringwald) in the record store before she leaves for her first date with Blaine (What about prom, Blaine?!).


The memory of that movie then got me to thinking about some of my favorite movies from the late 80's.  And there were SO many of them!   Great, great movies that I'd still enjoy watching now.  Which ones you might ask?  I'm going to list as many of them as I can remember right here in no particular order:

Pretty in Pink
Sixteen Candles
The Breakfast Club
Weird Science
St. Elmo's Fire
About Last Night
For Keeps
Parenthood
The Incredible Shrinking Woman
9 to 5
Terms of Endearment
Tootsie
E.T.
Mannequin
Less Than Zero
Mr. Mom
Beetlejuice
The Witches of Eastwick
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Stand By Me
Adventures in Babysitting
Top Gun
The Karate Kid
Cocktail
She's Having a Baby
Footloose
The Lost Boys
Splash
The Money Pit
Shag
Mystic Pizza
War of the Roses
Romancing the Stone
Dirty Dancing
Back to the Future
The Goonies
When Harry Met Sally
Steele Magnolias
Say Anything

Now back to the Pretty in Pink topic for a minute.  Remember that I had heard the Otis Redding song in the car and it had reminded me of the movie Pretty in Pink?  Well, I kid you not, later that very same night I watched the latest episode of Parenthood that I had recorded on my DVR.  In that episode Sarah (Lauren Graham) makes reference to the movie Pretty in Pink to her daughter Amber (Mae Whitman), who is contemplating going to the prom while looking at some vintage dresses of her grandmother's.  That's crazy! I think so anyway!

No comments: